It’s the day the whole Country turns out for a good rummage!
It’s not too late to Add your Sale to the Trail! Go to: www.garagesaletrail.com.au
Garage Sale Trail is a national program that’s about sustainability, community, commerce and fun!
By organising communities around Australia to hold garage sales on the same day we aim to promote ‘Reuse’ and ‘Reduce waste to landfill’, enable new neighbourly connections, provide a platform for fundraising, inspire creativity and stimulate local economies.
Now in its fourth year, Garage Sale Trail is an Epic National Event; a not-for-profit mission that works hand in hand with government to inspire social and environmental change. Last year’s event resulted in 1.5 million items listed for reuse (that’s an average of 8 shopping trollies redistributed per sale), and over 230,000 new community connections (13 new connections per participant).
This year’s event will be held on Saturday 25th October and will be the biggest community and sustainability event Australia has ever seen! Garage Sale Trail is for buyers, sellers, makers and creators. Absolutely everyone can get involved.
Go to the website for great tips and ‘How To Guides’. www.garagesaletrail.com.au
And if you are not selling, then enjoy getting out into the fresh air, meeting new people, finding many bargains and helping the planet all at once! Enjoy!
More ways you can recover, recycle and reuse
Some things that you can’t put in your standard recycling bin can still be recycled, reduced or reused through other means:
- Plastic bags can often be recycled at local supermarkets
- Items such as mobile phones, printer cartridges and other electronic waste can be recycled at select retailers
- Clothes, shoes and toys can be taken to your local charity bin or shop
- Buy in bulk – by choosing products with less packaging you can help reduce waste
- Reusable shopping bags can be used to avoid plastic bags
- Use rechargeable batteries in household items
- Compost your kitchen scraps or use a worm farm
- Reuse scrap paper as notepaper
- Only print items when absolutely necessary and use double sided printing
- Choose recycled products, products with recycled content and products that can be recycled after use